4 IMPORTANT RULES FOR CREATING AWESOME WEDDING INVITATIONS
My friends over at Basic Invite know how much I love photographing invitations to tie them into my couple's wedding photos in order to tell the story of their day! That's why they asked me to demonstrate how easy it is to get totally customized, high-quality, unique invitations all on their online platform.
Hopefully walking you through this process will take the unnecessary stress out of finding and customizing your perfect invitations!
RULE 1: CREATE A MOOD BOARD TO HONE IN ON THE VISION AND VIBE OF YOUR WEDDING.
- PIN: I started by pinning a bunch of images based on my favorite weddings to photograph: a moody cliffside wedding, a water-inspired beach wedding, an english garden-inspired wedding, a wooded mountain wedding, and a badass rockstar wedding.
- USE YOUR BOARD TO FIND AN INVITATION YOU LOVE: I found a common thread in the visuals I chose to use the overall vibe in order to find one of Basic Invite's designs that best fit the theme.
RULE 2: CUSTOMIZE YOUR DESIGN TO YOUR UNIQUE VISION AND COLORS.
- BASIC INVITE MAKES CUSTOMIZING EASY & AFFORDABLE: If you aren't hiring a stationery designer to make one-of-a-kind invitations for your wedding, most likely you're turning to the web. It's so amazing that Basic Invite can be 100% customizable in every way. After playing around on their SUPER easy to use platform, I was able to change everything from the typeface to the layout (which was INSANE because I've never been able to do that with any other stationery website I've tried). And what's crazier is I could change the color of any element of the design I chose: the background, individual petals on flowers, lines of text... ANYTHING! With 180 gorgeous color options, I was able to get the exact look I wanted and it felt completely my OWN - down to the smallest detail - and I could see each change in an instant preview right there in the workspace.
RULE 3: DO YOUR BEST TO SIMPLIFY THINGS SO YOU DON'T STRESS OUT ABOUT LOGISTICS.
- MATCH YOUR COLLATERAL: All of the invitation designs on Basic Invite are part of a set. That means you can order matching save the dates, enclosure cards, menus, programs, and even thank you cards to complete your look!
- MAKE ENVELOPE ADDRESSING A BREEZE: Now, I know designing a custom invite is super exciting, but I know you're dreading something... Ah yes, the hardest part about invitations is making sure that the envelopes are properly addressed and stuffed for all of your guests. That's why I highly recommend Basic Invite's FREE address collection service! All you do is share a link with your guests to collect their addresses, all of the addresses populate on Basic Invite, then when you place your order, Basic Invite will print all of those collected addresses FOR FREE on all of your envelopes (which are all peel and seal by the way... so that your mother's poor tongue will thank you). Plus you get to choose from over 40 different colors of envelopes and tons of cool paper inserts as well! Gosh, like, seriously, Basic Invite, we get you have a bazillion options already! ;)
- ORDER SAMPLES BEFORE PLACING YOUR ENTIRE ORDER: What I thought was SUPER awesome is that Basic Invite is one of the few websites that allows customers the ability to order a printed sample of your ACTUAL invitation so you can see exactly how it will print as well as the paper quality before you ever have to place your final order. WHAT!?! That's so so cool. I ordered all of the invitations seen here as samples - and they look FLAWLESS. Normally I would think, "Oh it's a sample, so the quality isn't going to be like the final product." NO. These samples were just as if I ordered the full set. Amazing print quality, paper weight and texture, and the colors were exactly the same tone as the instant preview I saw when I was customizing them online. Awesome.
RULE 4: PROVIDE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER WITH ALL THE LITTLE DETAILS.
- BECAUSE DETAILS HELP TELL THE STORY: All of the little details you carefully choose for your wedding should all add up to telling a cohesive story that is in line with your Mood Board's vision and your overall vibe of your wedding. And that's not just because it would be super pretty to do so. Here's why...
- THEY ARE IMPORTANT FOR SOLIDIFYING MEMORIES: Details are important for your guests to be instantly immersed in the world you are creating for them during your wedding and serve as visual cues to how to act and feel. That's why you spend so much time, money, and energy to get them just right! As a photographer, my job is to document everything I can - photographing every last detail so you can look at your photos and see a time capsule of visual cues for you to tie to the fleeting memories of your day for years to come.
- THINK BIG PICTURE: By giving your photographer small but meaningful items to photograph with your invitation suite, such as loose flowers from your bouquet, a ribbon that ties in the main color of your wedding, the bottle of the perfume you wore that day, the tiny sea shells that were strewn on the center of the tables, etc - those things will not only instantly tie your photos together in a visual story and lend to a more thoughtfully designed wedding album, but also having photos of those small details will instantly evoke how you FELT and experienced the day every time you look at your photos.
Without these details, your invitation simply looks like a piece of pretty paper. It could be anyone's invitation.
Once you add in the details though, your invitation is given a place and a purpose; a story. You remember those shells on your tabletops, the watercolor accents you DIY'd all throughout your wedding with those paintbrushes, the dusty purple ribbon tied around every bouquet, and the driftwood that served as centerpieces for your wedding by the sea. The details are the chorus that provides meaning and lifts up the star of the show: your awesome, custom invitation.
This post is sponsored by Basic Invite, however all opinions and styled photos are my own.